« Home | Wishful Thinking » | calciare dell'asino francese ! » | Tanned, happy & relaxed » | It's Going Doooown » | Road Trippin' Songs » | Michael Josephson » | I Need a Birthday Reminder Alert Thing... » | Utterly Unfortunate » | Good ol' Labs » | Summer Slack »

In time we hate that which we often fear...

Ravin posed a rather insightful question on his blog about the recent bombings in Mumbai, India.

I heard about in the morning on the news before heading out for class and the coverage international news generally gets (like 30 seconds?), didn't make me think a whole lot about it. Having seen riots and the likes in my younger years when my dad was involved in all the political/police stuff, I ironically brushed it off and headed out (even when I had a sick feeling it was something similar to what had happened in 1993 and recently, in 2003).

But when a friend called me from NY, it got me worried. How BIG had this bombing been? How many people were killed? Did I know anyone in Bombay (Mumbai)? My earlier reaction however, bothered me even further. True, living here in the States hardly offers any options of help you might be able to deliver to those killed/injured back in the home country and makes you go about your regular business.... More so, if you have no one in the region of the incident to worry about, you don't really give a second thought to it (except when a family friends' gathering decides to discuss the recent developments back in the country). It's inconsiderate. It's sad. It's pathetic. But it's true. You're helpless... what can you do really.

But then it doesn't give you the right to speak ill of the incident and pass callous judgements (especially when the facts and working behind the bombings are still not known). The comment made about Ravin's friend made me think back to all those arguments I get into with friends (and even with much much older people who lived in India all their lives) over labeling people for the actions of a few others. When you think of it with a rational and calm point of view, even you wouldn't approve of people labeling you for what someone else did.

Maybe it's racist. Maybe it's closed-mindedness.

Whatever it is, people need to consider options to solutions of the problem, rather than sitting happy and blaming and cussing at people. Sadly, a lot of people back in India do the latter. Friends IMed me tonight and whined and recited all sorts of names for the people behind the bombings. It surprised me that such an incident bred such... hatred in them. To think of it, they're the "next generation". I'm not saying that people should simply sit pretty and act like nothing happened. It's not possible. But I dunno... when people express such anger towards others, it never seems reasonable to me. The bombing was an act of hate and anger. And by showing the same feelings in response to the incident... just doesn't seem right. In such cases, it doesn't seperate us in any way from the people behind the bombings in Bombay.

What pisses me off is, when people start blaming one part of the society for everything....based on religion or region or w/e. It aint fair.

War was raged on Saddam (partly)cuz of the crimes he committed agnst his own countryfolk, and those who supported the war, are the ones who blame Muslims for all kindsa problems in the world AND hate Iraqi ppl.
So, when Saddam kills Iraqi civilians, the idealists wage war. When the war kills Iraqi Civilians, those Civilians become 'fukin infiltrators' according to those very idealists.
Classic case of "I dont feel like Satan, but I am to them...So i try to forget it anyway I can"

That line comes from "Rockin in the free world" by Neil young.

In short, we need to stop generalising. But I doubt we can change now. We can only blow up the world now, and I hope we do so soon.

War was WAGED on saddam... (Typo)

it is totally shite that people i call friends, or people even in my family, do condone the blame game. the least, the very least, you can do is condemn bigotry whenever you see it.

Every one loves to play the blame game...being judgemental, generalising has become so much a part of us...

I know we can't really do anything, but the least we can do is to try and be non-judgemental...try not to nurture hatred against one community or religion...

@Lonely Guitar: So true...

Post a Comment